Re: having a problematic webapp

From: Tim Tessier <ttessier_at_swhistlesoft.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:10:48 -0500

You do know that no-one outside of your computer can access that right?
localhost is a hostname usually given to the computer that you are using by the operating system.
Although it is possible to make that a different host, it would be pointless for what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to troubleshoot a webapp, then you may be able to view the textual output of the site using
curl and you may also be able to rate limit the connection to test reliability on slow connections. You may also
be able to view error codes or result codes ( http or otherwise ).

But it may be almost impossible for others to help you unless you provide a world accessible ip address or a little
more insight into the actual problem you are having.

Keeping in mind that this it not a web app development list.

Nevertheless, from the curl docs at: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/httpscripting.html:

3. GET a page

 The simplest and most common request/operation made using HTTP is to get a
 URL. The URL could itself refer to a web page, an image or a file. The client
 issues a GET request to the server and receives the document it asked for.
 If you issue the command line

        curl http://curl.haxx.se

 you get a web page returned in your terminal window. The entire HTML document
 that that URL holds.

 All HTTP replies contain a set of response headers that are normally hidden,
 use curl's --include (-i) option to display them as well as the rest of the
 document. You can also ask the remote server for ONLY the headers by using
 the --head (-I) option (which will make curl issue a HEAD request).

Thanks,
Tim Tessier