Re: Re: GnuTLS recv error (-9): A TLS packet with unexpected length was received. - with Paypal Website Payment Pro (Daniel Stenberg)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:15:15 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Zachary Krebs wrote:

You're just now violating just about all guidelines on good online etiquette.
If you intend to participate in discussions online, NEVER subscribe to the
digest version of the mailing list as it is IMPOSSSIBLE to reply to in a
decent matter.

You proved it here by top-posting and full-quoting a HUGE mail and adding lots
of garbage in your mail that was tottally irrelevant. That's insensitive and a
waste of people's time and bandwidth.

http://curl.haxx.se/mail/etiquette.html has all this mentioned.

Now back the subject:

> re my issue, "GnuTLS recv error (-9): A TLS packet with unexpected length
> was received. - with Paypal Website Payment Pro"
>
> Additional System Info:
> ibcurl3-gnutls (7.18.0-1ubuntu2.2)
> libcurl4-gnutls-dev (7.21.0-1ubuntu1)
> gnupg (1.4.10-2ubuntu1)
>
> I'm unaware of how to give you more specifics about the version, but I hope
> this is enough to specify the Ubuntu packages I'm using, that aren't
> offering any updates at the moment.

I was mostly interested in which gnutls version you're using. I don't know
about which ubuntu packages that ship where or what they contain.

But really, that info would only give me a pointer as then I would go search
the GnuTLS project and their changelogs etc to see if the error message in
combination with version string would provide any additional hints.

I have no particular insights into the GnuTLS project.

Possibly this bug is instead due to how libcurl uses gnutls, but then we need
to figure out what makes this server special and try to figure out what the
error is. I've not seen this bug reproduced and I've certainly not been told a
command line I can use to try it out myself so the debugging will be left for
those who can reproduce it. Unless you work on getting recipe that allows us
to help out debugging this.