curl and timeout problem

From: <thomas_at_randspringer.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:29:48 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

we use

>snip
curl --version
curl 7.19.0 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.19.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8h zlib/1.2.3 libidn/1.10
Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz
>snip

to request a long running job in an glassfish application server redirected over an apache server.

chain is:

curl https://... --> apache --> glassfish-app-server and back.

At first we received a 404 HTTP-Code in curl because the apache timed out the connection after 5 minutes.
However on glassfish server side all things are ok.

We set the parameter "ProxyTimeout 1800" in apaches configuration.
Now curl does not cancel after 5 minutes but it comes also not back after the job in glassfish finished!

I do not understand why curl does not exit.

Any idea how to check this?

Best regards
Thomas