a weird name lookup timedout issue

From: Shaojie Liu <liusoaring_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:50:15 +0800

we setup our site with apache (2.2,mod_prefork only)+ PHP(5.2)+libcurl
(version 7.16~7.21) and it used to work well under pretty high traffic for
many months.

and then we've found recently that the curl_multi_* interface now throwing
errno 6: name lookup timedout messages sometimes. service check performed to
dns server shows little possibility to abnormal DNS service, and when we
login to the server and manually made nslookup request, no problem found.

the most weird thing is, the "name lookup timedout" could also be associated
with not only remote servers but also "localhost" requests, like "
http://localhost/http/service/param". and , all these issue gone after
restarting apache. if not, the error message will keep printing.

have read the libcurl's issue with name lookup timeout alarm() in multiple
thread env . but i think in our env, the multiple threads performing
actually not exist.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance.