Multiple --interface options for better dual-stack support?

From: Harry Strongburg <harry.curl_at_harry.lu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:36:00 +0000

Hello,

I am wondering if there's a way to have multiple --interface options.
The cURL docs say "If this option is used several times, the last one
will be used"; I am wondering if there is a chance this could be
changed.

Reasoning: better dual-stack support for interfaces. I think cURL should
read both --interface options, and use whichever one works. For example:
> curl --interface 2001:etc:etc:: --interface 1.2.3.4 http://ip6.me/
cURL should get the DNS result of the site ip6.me - it will see it has
an AAAA record, so it should use the IPv6 --interface supplied. Using
http://ip4.me/ will work as well - it will see there is only an A
record, so it will only try the IPv4 --interface.

If this suggestion even gets accepted, possibably cURL could have an
--iface4 and --iface6 if you want to keep the classic approach to
--interface (maybe?). It would be a lot better for cURL to accept
numerous --interfaces, but --iface4/6 would also be just as swell.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you accept/like this suggestion.