curl using intermedicate CA certificate

From: <go1008_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:04:23 -0500

I am trying to use curl to download/upload file from a site with
intermediate CA certificate.

I put the root ca and intermedicate CA certificate in PEM in a ca.pem
file and pass the file to the curl, but I got the following error when
use curl command to download file -

* SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details:
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
verify failed

Based on the mail achieve, it seems other uses have the same problem -
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2004-01/0083.html
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2008-01/0070.html

I was able to access the page using Firefox browser.

Can someone confirm if cURL supports (or not) intermediate certificate?

Thanks, Andrew