Re: Desperate about the deadline 16th August

From: Roland Mösl <founder_at_pege.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:53:46 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Haneda" <talklists_at_newgeo.com>
To: "the curl tool" <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Cc: "the curl tool" <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: Desperate about the deadline 16th August

> On Aug 6, 2010, at 1:40 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
>
>> 1. There is _no_ native oauth support in curl/libcurl right now.
>
> I was surprised by the post; excited if it were true, but wondering where curl
> draws the line in what it supports. Aren't there plenty of oauth libraries out there already?
>I know there are perl, php, bash, and a number of other mainstream interfaces
> to oauth on the twitter wiki.

My problem is, that I am stuck with an old Perl version.

There had been some changes between 5,2 and 5,6
influencing some features with MSIE as GUI.

After serveral attempts, I had given up to upgrade to a new Perl version,
so I can not use all this new libraries.

Instead I use CURL by a Perl generated batch file.

>> 3. Anyone is free to step forward and write the necessary code. I personally
>> have not reached that far down my TODO-list to get into that, and I don't
>> expect it to happen in a while either.
>
> So it is a possibility? It seems too narrow a feature to be part of curl.
> I would have assumed rejection of said feature for deviating into a
> highly specific function set that is only useful to a small subset of users.

More and moe platforms will remove basic authentification as unsecure.

It starts with Twitter August 16th

The main advantage is, that utilities do not require username and password
anymore.

Before with basic authentification

Utility A needs my username and password for service X

After oAuto

I tell service X that utility A is allowed to work for me
Utility A gets a key

I can every time remove the allowence for utility A
without changing my password.

I can ask service X, to what utilities have I given a permission.

best regards

Roland Mösl