Re: curl: (79) scp: /test.txt: No such file or directory

From: Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:04:35 -0600

At 23:51 +0200 6/25/10, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Sharma, Meghnath wrote:
>
>> curl: (79) scp: /test.txt: No such file or directory
>
>This sounds like you've specified a file that doesn't exist.
>
>> curl 7.19.6 (powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0) libcurl/7.19.6 GnuTLS/2.4.2 zlib/1.2.3 libidn/1.11 libssh2/1.2

I use scp a whole lot. . . but I have never found curl to be useful for that. Curl is a shell-callable tool and so is scp. If you take the time to set up the known hosts and allowed keys files in both the remote and local $HOME/.ssh directories you can enter a command line that starts with "scp" as easily as you can do the same with "curl".

I regularly get error responses from scp that read "file or directory doesn't exit" It's almost always because I have forgotten the quotes that are necessary to convince the shell to let the special character, that happens to be part of the file name or is an intended file name globbing operation, be interpreted on the remote machine rather than by the shell before it even executes the scp tool.

Does your error message occur if you bypass curl and just use scp?

Does your operating system have rules about the likes of scp that prevent you from using it? If so do those rules also apply to curl?

Your /test.txt" filename. Is that a reference to the root directory on your local machine or the root directory on the remote host? Do you really mean $HOME/test.txt? Do you have access to all of the directories starting with the root on both machines? Do you perhaps need a double slash to indicate that you really want the system root rather than the root address after your login?

Testing with scp directly might give you more helpful error messages.

--
--> If you are presented a number as a percentage, and you do not clearly understand the numerator and the denominator involved, you are surely being lied to. <--