Re: Unable to curl to local urls

From: Paul Willis <willisweb_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:25:15 +0100

On 6 May 2010, at 16:10, bruce wrote:

> trying to understand.
>
> you have server1 and your unbutu server, on the same segment, and from
> server1, you can curl to outside urls, but you can't curl to urls on
> the unbutu server. is this correct?

I have Mac tower with OS X 10.4.11 Server running VMWare Fusion 3.0.2 with Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS as a guest. The Ubuntu server is networked with Bridged network to the Mac and has its own public IP address. The Ubuntu server is running apache with a default page configured. From any external machine or the Mac OS X server host I can browse to the default apache page. I can also curl into the Ubuntu guest server from the Mac or any external machine.

From the Ubuntu server I can curl to outside URLs.

What I cannot do is curl from the Ubuntu guest server to itself, either using the hostname or the public IP address. When I try it just times out.

I've disabled the firewalls on the Mac host and the Ubuntu guest but it makes no difference. Following Alex's suggestions I realised that other network tools behave the same way and so concluded that it is a problem somewhere with the configuration on my Ubuntu/VMWare/Mac rather than a curl problem

So I didn't want to bother the list anymore (unless of course someone knows the answer)

Regards

Paul