Re: Some eyes on the comparison page!

From: Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:24:40 -0700

At 17:36 +0100 3/4/10, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>I just now added 'httrack' to the list of tools compared on the good old comparison page on the curl web site, available at:
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/docs/comparison-table.html
>
>I'll appreciate feedback. Not only on the httrack details but on all the other data as well, as I want to make sure they are as accurate as possible.
>
>Also, feel free to suggest other features to compare or other tools to add to the mix.

Since you asked:

curl is really useful to me for communicating between old and new Macintosh machines. Macs that were made in 1986 can talk ftp with software like Stairways NetPresenz. Using curl on Mac OS neXt or ubuntu Linux I can do bidirectional transfers with those boxes for which current Apple software has removed the capability.

I have pretty much stopped using curl for communication with my web hosting provider. Unadorned ssh from within BBEdit worksheets allows me to use scp just like I do cp. I have set up a .ssh folder on my account at pair,com and stored public keys make it really simple. Because BBEdit is a text editor that happens to allow execution of commands with a select and enter operation I can save command lines for repeated use.

For me the old versions of fetch, Stairways' NetPresenz and Interarchy, and plain old ssh are your competitors. There may be Windows versions of those.

I also do simultaneous transfers using curl pointed to divers sites. curl runs fine in background and it's easy to set up three or four processes which don't seem to mind operating at the same time.

And thank you for curl!

--
--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--