Re: web site makeover (was Re: which list is which)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:48:52 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, G. T. Stresen-Reuter wrote:

> 1. What emotions do you want to elicit from your site visitors? What is the
> primary emotional response you want them to have?
>
> Some examples of emotions include "optimism", astonishment (good or bad),
> surprise (again, can be good or bad), contentment, relief, etc. There is a
> somewhat universal relationship between colors and emotions. Knowing what
> emotional responses you hope to elicit will tell us what colors to use.

That of course could be a subject to debate among readers of the site, while I
primarily is the producer or author of it and not an actual visitor.

I think I want it to give a feeling of reliability, solidness, correctness and
possibly a bit boring. It should be easy to read.

> 2. What "attitude" do you wish the page to have?
>
> Sample attitudes include confident, serious, clear-minded, humorous, etc. The
> attitude helps us determine the organization of the elements on the page,
> white space, fonts, and a few other "structural" graphical elements.

Confident and serious. This is solid and functional software that works as
designed and documented. There are no surprises.

> 3. What are 3 web sites (from any field) whose design you like?

I can't answer that. I don't really think about designs and I don't really
know what similar sites I would compare with that I like.

> 4. Are there any web sites similar to your own whose designs you like (and
> that wouldn't be upset if we used some elements as a basis for this new
> design)?

I don't know of any.

My primary concerns in the web site when it comes to how visitors perceive it,
is that it should be easy to find the info you seek, as info (manuals) and
downloads are two primary reasons visitors come to the site. It is a techy
site for techy visitors and it needs to be made in a way that's easy to extend
and alter.

This project is soon to turn 12 years old. During these 12 years there have
been little to no interest from other people to help out with the web site,
thus I am and have been the primary editor and "designer". I have no hopes
that this will change drastically anytime soon and thus I will be the
primary/only editor even when/if the web site is redesigned. Of course,
there's the possibility that people don't contribute due to the way I've made
the current site...

Another very important thing to consider: we have lots of content on the site
which is generated/converted from other sources (using makefiles and external
scripts/tools) and they need to blend in properly. Most of the docs and
examples on the site are made like that.