Re: curl packaging for Scilab / winXP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:39:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Samuel wrote:

Thanks for your mail and willingness to help up improve the project!

> In the root curl's directory of Scilab are the files
> curl.exe CHANGES README RELEASE-NOTES and docs/
> In docs/ : FAQ FEATURES KNOWN_BUGS README.win32
> THANKS TODO

> Then, i have a very practical request: It would be very (very) nice to add a
> ".txt" extension to every text filename mentionned above in future release,
> since filename extensions are used by windows (instead of MIME types) for
> calling appropriated viewers or editors.

Right. But that's a Windows thing, and while curl runs and works perfectly
fine on Windows, those mentioned files are the exact same ones for all
platforms we make curl for and when we create release tarballs we only make
one version. The same one for all plaforms (although we do a few different
compression formats all the actual file contents are identical). And having
.txt extensions on those files in linux or any other unix would make my eyes
sore and my head hurt. (Yeah, I'm a an old grumpy *nix person.)

Anyone putting files on a system is of course free to rename the files however
they please. Or even to re-package and distribute a curl package with all
those files using whatever file extensions you like.

> As another point: in the curl's MANUAL, it is stated about the configuration
> file:
> "Curl automatically tries to read the .curlrc file (or _curlrc file on win32
> systems) *from the user's home dir* on startup."
> Indeed, trials show that _curlrc set on the user's home directory is not
> read at startup, while it is when set in the curl/ installation directory.

You're wrong. It does check for it in the user's homedir first and then the
tool's own dir. Although to find the "home dir" in windows it checks the
APPDATA environment variable and I don't know how accurate that is.

> Is this a Scilab<-curl customization feature (unlikely, since included "as
> is" (?)), or is it the general case (then the MANUAL should be corrected on
> this point).

The existing behavior is described in the manual.