Re: which list is which (was Re: TFTP issues in curl lib 7.19.4)

From: G. T. Stresen-Reuter <tedmasterweb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:28:10 +0100

On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, G. T. Stresen-Reuter wrote:
>
>> 1. I would put the most active list at the top of the list
>> (interchange curl-library and curl-users) since curl-library
>> appears to have more traffic (and thus those who don't read what
>> each list is for will be more likely to get it right).
>
> Done. And I updated the description and made the description for
> curl-library bigger than the other ones...
>
>> 2. I would tweak (increase) the spacing between lines
>
> Done.

This seems to have had positive results. It's amazing how such small
changes can have such major impacts!

>> If you're interested, I could probably mock up a design that
>> *might* be more readable (or just adapt one of the thousands of
>> open source designs on the web). Let me know.
>
> Oh please do, I can surely use some help here!

Trying, trying... Busy life, but at some point I would like to get to
it. A couple of questions...

- Does the site have to be static HTML or can PHP be used? (not that
that makes a difference on the design...)

- Is the site in a public repo somewhere or should I use http://code.google.com/p/phpspider/
  (or the equivalent)

>> 3. I would modify the labels of the links to the list subscription
>> interfaces. Rather than show the actual list names in the table, I
>> would use more descriptive labels such as:
>>
>> curl-library => libcurl Topics
>> curl-users => Curl <em>Command Line</em> Topics
>> curl-announce => Announcements of New Versions
>> curl-tracker => Issue Tracking
>>
>> I realize the existing names stem from historical list naming schemes
>
> I'd rather not. Because I use the list names to refer to the
> specific lists all the times so if I don't name them there it'll be
> harder for people to find specific lists like after I've mentioned
> one for them or similar.

And time seems to have shown that it was unnecessary!

>> 4. I don't think I would use a table for the list of lists (ha ha).
>> I think this is a good opportunity for a definition list (DL, DT,
>> DD) which can then be styled as needed via CSS.
>
> Quite possibly, but I did some basic attempts and failed miserably
> to make something that looked decent so I stayed with just polishing
> up the table...

Yeah... it seems to be a bit beyond the hour I just put in to trying
to get it to work for myself, and then you have the whole "doesn't
work in Lynx" issues to deal with so maybe it's just not worth it.

Take care and thanks again for the great FREE product.

Ted S-R
http://tedmasterweb.com