RE: curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to www.domain.com:443

From: David Ringsmuth <davidinug_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:40:31 -0500

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, David Ringsmuth wrote:

> curl-7.19.5-win32-ssl - this is the version of curl I'm running. By its
name
> it seems that it has been compiled with the required OpenSSL components
> build-in because of its name.

It was built to use the required OpenSSL components.

> Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k - this is the version of OpenSSL I installed,
and
> after many configuration tests, uninstalled because it seemed the curl had
> the necessary OpenSSL components.

curl does not. curl was just built to use the necessary OpenSSL components.

> If Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k is required in addition to
> curl-7.19.5-win32-ssl

Well, that exact version isn't required but one set of compatible OpenSSL
DLLs
is.

> then I was not able to figure out how to get curl to correctly call the
> needed Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k components.

curl uses two OpenSSL DLLs. It finds them using the normal Windows
procedures,
so you typically have them in a system directory or in the same dir you have

curl itself.

> Does curl-7.19.5-win32-ssl require the separate installation of
> Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k?

Separate from what? As long as curl finds the DLLs it doesn't care.

Daniel,
Thanks for responding to my email.
I've moved on beyond using curl and wrote my own scriptable web client that
handles SSL just fine.
I needed to deliver my project today with SSL functionality, and I did,
without curl.
The specifications for curl make it appear to be a great tool. I wish it
worked for me.
David