RE: curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to www.domain.com:443

From: David Ringsmuth <davidinug_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:46:22 -0500

From: curl-users-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se
[mailto:curl-users-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se] On Behalf Of Daniel Stenberg
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:43 PM
To: the curl tool
Subject: Re: curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to
www.domain.com:443

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, David Ringsmuth wrote:

> I need curl to do HTTPS. It appears to be recognizing the CA root cert
file.
> In every configuration I've tried it generates an error: curl: (35)
Unknown
> SSL protocol error in connection to www.domain.com:443
>
> It seems to make no difference if OpenSSL is installed or not. Because of
> this I've uninstalled OpenSSL.

That's a funny statement. Your curl clearly uses OpenSSL so unless you run
your own static curl build, it _is_ using OpenSSL DLLs.

> curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to www.domain.com:443

The sad truth is that this is really an unknown error. OpenSSL returns
error,
but on further enquires it doesn't give more info.

Perhaps you need a newer OpenSSL or something. It's hard to tell without a
lot
of more info.

Daniel,
curl-7.19.5-win32-ssl - this is the version of curl I'm running. By its name
it seems that it has been compiled with the required OpenSSL components
build-in because of its name.
Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k - this is the version of OpenSSL I installed, and
after many configuration tests, uninstalled because it seemed the curl had
the necessary OpenSSL components.
If Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k is required in addition to
curl-7.19.5-win32-ssl, then I was not able to figure out how to get curl to
correctly call the needed Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k components.
Does curl-7.19.5-win32-ssl require the separate installation of
Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k?
Help me sort this out.
Thanks,
David