Problems connecting to a ftpserver using SSL/TLS

From: Joacim Mårtensson <jocke.martensson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:12:28 +0100

Hello,

I have a problem connection to a FTP server, I hope you can guide me in the
right direction.
Im using a RHEL4.7 64bit server.

Here is the output from curl:

[user@server]$ curl -v --ftp-ssl -uUSERNAME:PASSWORD ftp://ftps.xxxxxx.se:21
* About to connect() to ftps.xxxxxx.se port 21
* Trying 192.xxx.xxx.xxx... * connected
* Connected to ftps.xxxxxx.se (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) port 21
< 220-FTP 14:05:46 on 2009-02-12.
< 220 Connection will close if idle for more than 30 minutes.
> AUTH SSL
< 234 Security environment established - ready for negotiation
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
  CApath: none
* error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_CHECK_TLEN:wrong tag
* Closing connection #0
curl: (35) error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_CHECK_TLEN:wrong tag

Does anyone knows whats this means or how to troubleshoot it further?

If I try connecting with TLS I got this:

[user@server]$ curl -v -tlsv1 -uUSERNAME:PASSWORD ftp://ftps.xxxxxx.se:21
* About to connect() to ftps.xxxxxx.se port 21
* Trying 192.xxx.xxx.xxx... * connected
* Connected to ftps.xxxxxx.se (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) port 21
< 220-FTP 14:08:37 on 2009-02-12.
< 220 Connection will close if idle for more than 30 minutes.
> USER USERNAME
< 534 Server requires authentication before USER command
* Odd return code after USER
* Closing connection #0
curl: (12) Odd return code after USER

Why doesnt curl send AUTH TLS with the above command?

--
Mvh
Jocke