Re: Patch for Metalink Support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:02:53 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> This is a neat patch, but IMHO it doesn't belong in the curl command line
> client.

I think this is a philosophical dilemma: I agree that curl itself is not
really (traditionally) about doing stuff on top of the supported protocols,
but yet there are such systems that are clearly transport-related "systems"
that add value for transports that are exactly this. I then think of not only
metalink, but also bittorrent and probably other things.

I would personally like a transfer tool like curl that also supports these
"ontop" layers, even though they're strictly speaking above the "application
layer". I can see how I can either build my own build of curl that supports
these, or we could perhaps try to more officially work on a second tool that
is a curl++ (or perhaps durl ;-) which adds more on top of what the existing
curl does and works with.

I can't say I've made up my mind over how I'd like it to end up, but I do know
that I like metalink and bittorrent as download "helpers"...