Re: SFTP using CURL in C++

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 19:46:03 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Doug McNutt wrote:

> Is there any advantage to sftp, with curl or otherwise, that makes it better
> than scp? You need a certificate on file for either one and once that's
> arranged the scp is one line of easily scripted code.

Yes, SFTP is an attempt to "standardize" file transfers over SSH while SCP is
just unix commands done over SSH. This means that SCP has very slim chances to
work on for example windows servers, while SFTP should work the same no matter
what.

That's the theory at least. On the low level parts I'd claim that SFTP is a
bit stupidly designed but hey, that's just details...