Re: Is tunneling suitable for production ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:19:21 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Bharat Varma wrote:

Isn't this more libcurl related and thus a topic for the curl-library list?

> Thank you for the prompt response. Is there anything that we can do to
> implement a comet style communication instead ?

"comet style" seems to be a very blurry term and a generic way of saying
things. What exactly do you have in mind that you're not certain if (lib)curl
can help you with?

> I basically want to see if the TCP tunnel risks alienation with too many
> proxies. With pure HTTP, I couldn't avoid continuous posts. The main focus
> is to basically avoid continuous posts. I have tried this in the past and
> have been bitten by it. I am not looking for a set-in-stone answer but more
> of your experience in proxies which can discard the TCP tunnel requests.

Proxies can do just about anything since most often the proxy is administrated
by someone else than the user and administrators tend to do things to keep
things running and they often have a different view on that then the users of
the proxy.

But in general proxy admins allow HTTPS throgh the proxies and thus they must
allow CONNECT to port 443.

> I hear that lightstreamer has an implementation which has hooks for Java and
> c#. This basically tells me that it should definitely be possible with c++
> and libcurl.

I have no idea what lightstreamer is nor how this implementation works or is
so I can't comment.