Re: BUG - Build fails at gethostbyname() check

From: Michael James <james.me_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 16:31:00 -0700

Hello,

I am writing to follow up on an issue I reported a while ago, and was
being investigated by Yang Tse and Daniel Stenberg. Sorry that it took
some time to follow up on a simple request for some environment
variables, but here they are: :)

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Yang Tse wrote:

>> Using the Cygwin environment with the MSVC compiler.

> I would also add, at least, the "contortioned" adjective to it. This
> might even work but certainly some special things will be required to
> properly drive the auto* stuff inside the configure script.

Although it isn't a standard configuration, it generally works better
for me than microsoft's nmake or visual studio environment.

> Since the configure script is using gcc's options instead of MS's
> ones, you are reporting here that that your build environment is not
> properly set up to use MS's toolchain.

Is there a way for me to tell the configure script to use MS
toolchain's options and option syntax?

> Could you show us the values of _all_ environment variables that are
> active in the cygwin shell before you invoke the configure script ?
> This will help me to reproduce what you seem to be suffering.

Yes, the full build environment is at the end of this message.

> This way of using LDFLAGS would not be the standard way of specifying
> additional link libraries. But given the fact that your setup isn't
> very common I'll refrain myself and wait for your environment
> variables settings before making any further statement regarding this.

I am not using the "standard" way to pass configure flags only because
I don't know what the preferred method is. I am definitely open to
suggestions on how to specify these flags.

> Well... The configure script assumes that if you don't tell it that
> you are cross-compiling you are not doing so, and as such uses the
> host's tools and properties which in your case are the cygwin ones.

Although I'm using a tool chain that isn't gcc compatible, this is
still a native build. The build host is able to run the target
executables. I always have considered cross compiling to be
compilation for a different host architecture, and/or when the
object/executable output produced by the compiler can not be run from
the build system.

Kind regards,
Michael James

mixe_at_coral /develop/contrib$ set
ALLUSERSPROFILE='C:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
APPDATA='C:\Documents and Settings\mixe\Application Data'
BASH=/bin/bash
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="3" [1]="2" [2]="39" [3]="19" [4]="release"
[5]="i686-pc-cygwin")
BASH_VERSION='3.2.39(19)-release'
CLIENTNAME=Console
COMMONPROGRAMFILES='C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME=CORAL
COMSPEC='C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'
CVS_RSH=/bin/ssh
DIRSTACK=()
EDPATH='C:\Program Files\WATCOM\EDDAT'
EUID=1003
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
GROUPS=()
HISTFILE=/home/mixe/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=500
HISTSIZE=500
HOME=/home/mixe
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH='\Documents and Settings\mixe'
HOSTNAME=coral
HOSTTYPE=i686
IFS=$' \t\n'
INCLUDE='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\/vc/include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\Server2003R2/include'
INFOPATH=/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info:
LIB='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\/vc/lib;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\Server2003R2/lib'
LOGONSERVER='\\CORAL'
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-cygwin
MAILCHECK=60
MAKE_MODE=unix
MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man::/usr/ssl/man
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OLDPWD=/develop/contrib
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OS=Windows_NT
OSTYPE=cygwin
PATH='/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/program
files/imagemagick:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/vc/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/common7/ide:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/Server2003R2/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/SysInternals:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Graphviz/Bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/WATCOM/BINNT:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/WATCOM/BINW:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/lapack'
PATHEXT='.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PPID=3112
PRINTER='Brother HL-5250DN series'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER='x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0f0a
PROGRAMFILES='C:\Program Files'
PS1='\[\e]0;\w\a\]\n\[\e[32m\]\u@\h \[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PSDK='C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\Server2003R2'
PWD=/develop/contrib
SESSIONNAME=Console
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor
SHLVL=1
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
SYSTEMROOT='C:\WINDOWS'
TEMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/mixe/LOCALS~1/Temp
TERM=xterm
TMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/mixe/LOCALS~1/Temp
UID=1003
USER=mixe
USERDOMAIN=CORAL
USERNAME=mixe
USERPROFILE='C:\Documents and Settings\mixe'
VS='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\'
VS90COMNTOOLS='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools\'
WATCOM='C:\Program Files\WATCOM'
WINDIR='C:\WINDOWS'
_=LDFLAGS=ws2_32.lib