Re: multiple URL in command lines means pipelining?

From: Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:18:52 -0600

At 12:05 -0700 8/23/08, Dan Fandrich wrote, and I snipped:
>On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 05:14:29PM +0000, hgiuh ghj wrote:
>> Does he opens 2 TCP connections for a request/reply pair (multi requests over multi TCP connections ?
>
>As long as the server leaves the connection open, curl will reuse it.
>
>> If I want to imitate the behavious of a common browser, which command have I to use :
>>
>> curl http://example.com/ http://example.com/footer.jpeg ?
>> curl http://example.com/ & http://example.com/footer.jpeg ?
>> curl http://example.com/ ; curl http://example.com/footer.jpeg ?
>
>Depending on the browser and other conditions, the first or last would be
>closest (the middle one is invalid). These days, I imagine most browsers
>would use pipelining, though.

I have rarely had two-on-a-line in any of those proposed syntaxes work. Perhaps it's what I use curl for but two on a line usually fails because some cookie or other session-preserving device fails on the second download.

Does the cookie jar, on a single curl command, even address the possible needs between returns to the site with new HTTP headers? Pipelining seems not to have a chance without the browser's shrewd knowledge of cookies created by JavaScript.

--
--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--