Curl, Perl and error codes

From: Adnane <adnane_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:27:11 -0400

Hey guys,
This is my first post on this list so please excuse my ignorance.
I'm writing a perl application to send an xml file to a remote server and
I'm using curl through system calls: qx (for reasons beyond my control, I
can't install the Curl::Easy module on this machine).
When the transfer fails, a message such as: 'curl: (7) socket error: 111' is
printed on the terminal.
My question is: is there any way to get that error code (7 in this case)
inside the perl code and assign it to a variable that I can then act upon
(maybe send an email)?
I searched all over the net and couldn't find an answer.
Thanks