Re: Multiple `make check' failures of curl-7.18.X

From: Andy Tsouladze <andycurl_at_andy-t.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:52:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Andy Tsouladze wrote:
>
>> I have tried to compile curl-7.18.2 on Slackware-12.1. It compiles, but
>> `make check' fails with a huge number of errors (all details below). Then
>> I tried to compile 7.18.1, 7.18.0, and 7.17.1. `make check' returns lots
>> of errors with any 7.18.X version. With 7.17.1, there are no errors.
>
> First, it seems your stunnel doesn't run the way curl wants it to.

Well, sort of. As it turned out after some investigation, runtest.pl
tries to execute a directory, and fails. More specifically, my $PATH has
/etc in front of /usr/sbin, so, when a sub checkcmd("$stunnel") is
executed, it finds /etc/stunnel (which is a config directory) and happily
returns it.

An easy fix for this is:

andyt_at_mate: tests> diff runtests.pl runtests.pl.orig
390c390
< if( -x "$_/$cmd" && ! -d "$_/$cmd") {

---
>         if( -x "$_/$cmd") {
> Then, you
> should identify the first test that fails that you want to investigate and
> then do:
>
> $ cd tests
> $ ./runtests.pl [number]
And here we have another interesting situation.  Here is the original
(before fixing runtests.pl) piece of output:
test 297...OK (291 out of 445, remaining: 01:00)
test 298...OK (292 out of 445, remaining: 01:00)
stunnel exited with 16777215!
RUN: failed to start the HTTPS server
test 350...FAILED
It seems like the first failed test is 350.  This is not true though.  In
fact, it is 300.  What happens is, when test 300 runs, runtests.pl calls
httpsserver.pl, which fails with the "stunnel exited ..." message, and no
information about test 300 ever appears on STDOUT.  This is misleading.  I
guess it would be useful if the line
1863:    logmsg sprintf("test %03d...", $testnum);
could be executed earlier, as soon as it becomes clear that the test
should not be skipped.
Finally, with runtests.pl fixed, all tests are successful.
Regards,
Andy
Dr Andy Tsouladze
Sr Unix/Storage SysAdmin