Unable to verify server certificate

From: Salgar, Gowtam <Gowtam_Salgar_at_adp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:40:21 -0400

Hi Team, I need to connect to a secure website which is https based. I have to validate the certificate of the site before connecting. I trying opening the site, exporting the certificate from IE to .cer format and then use openssl to convert it to .pem as CURL supports only ..pem format only. I my script when I try to connect and mention --cacert/ --capath option to my certificate in .pem format it fails. Here are the logs for the same. Let me know if I am doing any thing wrong. CApath: none * SSLv2, Client hello (1): } [data not shown] * SSLv3, TLS handshake, Server hello (2): { [data not shown] * SSLv3, TLS handshake, CERT (11): { [data not shown] * SSLv3, TLS alert, Server hello (2): } [data not shown] * SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify faile d * Closing connection #0 curl: (60) SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify faile d More details here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html <http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html> curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle" of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). The default bundle is named curl-ca-bundle.crt; you can specify an alternate file using the --cacert option. If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might not match the domain name in the URL). If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use the -k (or --insecure) option. Thanks and Regards, Gowtam ----------------------------------------- This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.