Re: Build Trouble: "OpenSSL libs and/or directories were not found where specified!"

From: Weston C <westonc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:06:03 -0700

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> Did you also install the OpenSSL package after you built it from source?
> curl's build process assumes it installed, not just a built-from-source tree.
[...]
> Devel packages usually contain headers etc that the "normal" ones don't.

I've done "make install" as well as "make," but nothing else. I know
there's the occasional other target, I just don't see any others here
(nothing like "make install-devel" or "make install-headers"
apparent)...

> > It's possible I misconfigured something there, but I've tried building it
> > with both no options fed to configure and with --prefix=/usr/local/ssl
>
> Is that the tree you installed openssl in?

Yes. Here's what's there (. = /usr/local/ssl):

  .
  ./ssl
  ./ssl/man
  ./ssl/man/man1
  ./ssl/man/man1/asn1parse.1
  [many man files]
  ./ssl/man/man1/x509.1
  ./ssl/man/man3
  ./ssl/man/man3/ASN1_generate_nconf.3
  [unholy number of man files]
  ./ssl/man/man3/SSL_write.3
  ./ssl/man/man5
  ./ssl/man/man5/config.5
  ./ssl/man/man5/x509v3_config.5
  ./ssl/man/man7
  ./ssl/man/man7/des_modes.7
  ./ssl/misc
  ./ssl/misc/CA.sh
  ./ssl/misc/CA.pl
  ./ssl/misc/c_hash
  ./ssl/misc/c_info
  ./ssl/misc/c_issuer
  ./ssl/misc/c_name
  ./ssl/certs
  ./ssl/private
  ./ssl/openssl.cnf
  ./bin
  ./bin/openssl
  ./bin/c_rehash
  ./lib
  ./lib/engines
  ./lib/pkgconfig
  ./lib/pkgconfig/libcrypto.pc
  ./lib/pkgconfig/libssl.pc
  ./lib/pkgconfig/openssl.pc
  ./lib/libcrypto.a
  ./lib/libssl.a
  ./include
  ./include/openssl
  ./include/openssl/e_os2.h
  [large number of header files]
  ./include/openssl/kssl.h

Is there anything that looks like it might not be right?

Thanks,

Weston