Re: Build Trouble: "OpenSSL libs and/or directories were not found where specified!"

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 23:37:13 -0700

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 03:59:31PM -0700, Weston C wrote:
> I think I follow the recommendations to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH, CFLAGS,
> and LDFLAGS, and consequently, here's what my invocation of configure
> now looks like:
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/ssl/lib/pkgconfig" \
> CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" \
> LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" \
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/curl/ \
> --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/ \
> --with-zlib

Any one of those three methods ought to be enough to make it work, depending
on the situation. In your case, it's probably picking up and using the
pkg-config configuration file for your standard OpenSSL package and overriding
the other methods. Try putting /usr/local/ssl/lib/pkgconfig at the
beginning of the PKG_CONFIG_PATH instead of the end (are you sure that's
the right directory, by the way?).

> "linking in -ldl with anything that
> is using ssl libs from now on. You'll also need to tell the dynamic linker
> where libcryto.so/libssl.so are (ld.so.cache, rpath, LD_*) if linking
> dynamically, or make sure the *.a static versions are compiled in statically."
>
> Can someone explain this?

On Linux, this means making sure /usr/local/ssl/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf
so that once curl is built, it can find your OpenSSL library when it
runs. But if there is a possibility of conflict between your OpenSSL
library and the standard one, this isn't a good technique--use the
rpath one instead to hard-code the location within curl.

>>> Dan