Re: curl limits?

From: Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:38:25 -0500

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 05:40:19PM -0500, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> > What would be the most data I can post using the command line tool?? Is
> there
> > a limit set somewhere??
>
> I don't think there is.
>
> > The problem is that I have over 900 variables to post and I think I may
> be
> > overflowing some internal buffer somewhere. The verbose output from curl
> > looks, in part, like this::
> >
> > > Cookie: JSESSIONID=1109C2442CEEC8483B961AEEEA2F5AFD
> > >
> > > selectedAction=&currentAction=&eventAction=submit&eventProcessor=&
> > NoOfAirports=0&NoOfPOIs=0&NoOfContacts=0&sortColumn=&editModeContact=&
> > selectedIndex=&marketingEntity=Test+Chains&disableCode=U&tpfCha
> >
> inCoder=QA&......[snip]..............&creditAction_79=N&hiddenCreditCardId_79=
> > YJ
> >
> > The Content-Length header is correct - that's the size of the file
> containing
> > the post variable string all on one line.
>
> I tried an 80KB post without any problems. What platform is this on? Can
> you run curl under valgrind and see if shows any uninitialized buffers
> being
> used or buffer overflows? Is the correct data being sent or is the garbage
> data actually being sent as well? Is this purely a logging problem? Does
> it show up with --trace-ascii as well? The garbage data you're seeing
> isn't
> being returned by the server by any chance, is it?

I think at least part of the problem was due to an asterisk character in the
posted variables. Now that I've got that encoded, things are going
smoother.

The platform is RedHat 7.2, with miscellaneous updates dropped into
/usr/local rather than trying to find rpms. I don't have access to the
target server, so I can't see if the post data is arriving intact.

So, for the time being it looks like it was user error... Sorry about that.

Ralph Mitchell