Re: Can't post with Content-Length longer than 1024 bytes

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:10:41 -0800

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 01:13:39PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> I'm not so sure. The 417 code means that "Expectation Failed" which I
> interpret that the server deemed that something in the request made it not
> allowed to continue, so just removing the Expect: header and doing the
> request again would thus just get a failure again although a bit later in
> the process than with the header present.

The RFC gives as an example of a case where 417 is allowed as the case of
a proxy knowing that the remote server can't handle a 100-continue request
because it is HTTP 1.0 only. In that case, retrying in HTTP 1.0 mode is
presumably the right way to recover. The wording implies that 417 should
be returned due to a problem with the 100-expect meaning retrying without
the 100-expect is the right recovery strategy.

>>> Dan