Re: Gopher support

From: Kristian Kjeldsen <e99_kkj_at_e.kth.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 00:37:34 +0100

Dan,

It's not my burning desire to gopher as much as it is the fact that
the original curl that ships with my box has support for it. When
building my optimized replacement, i'd ideally like all the features
present in the slow version. Stock curl:

curl 7.13.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.0) libcurl/7.13.1 OpenSSL/0.9.7l
zlib/1.2.3
Protocols: ftp gopher telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

Something tells me there were valid reasons for its removal,
nevertheless, it is something i desire, in order for my replacement
to have more features than the original, not less.

Earliest source i see is 7.14, i'll look it over to see if it has
gopher support. I'm not trying to make this a problem for the
community, this is something i'm very content to hack with in my own
little world (& time).

On a sidenote, optimizations went great, i build the curl tool with -
mdynamic-no-pic and just use --disable-shared, it works like a charm!
I could maybe manually tweak the makefile, it seems libcurl uses its
own setup of compiler flags, to disallow -mdynamic-no-pic for the
shared stuff. I'm learning about the project on a source level now,
many things left to discover. The only thing i'd want now is a fully
static version of the tool+lib, so that it could all benefit from -
mdynamic-no-pic.

Regards,
Kristian