Re: Problem in opening mail.google.com

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:03:48 +0100

Naiem Shaik wrote:
> I am working on WebKit,

That implies Mac OS X Panther or better?

> when I tried opening http://mail.google.com,
> CURL gave 2 error messages for 2 tries:
> "Failed connect to www.google.com:443; Success"
> "Failed connect to www.google.com:443; Operation now in progress"
>
> Then I tried launching the page from command line
> curl http://mail.google.com/mail -x $http_proxy ,
> This is the response
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>Moved Temporarily</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000">
> <H1>Moved Temporarily</H1>
> The document has moved <A
> HREF="https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&amp;passive=true&amp;rm=false&amp;continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%3Fui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&amp;ltmpl=default&amp;ltmplcache=2">here</A>.
> </BODY>
> </HTML>

Probably you had a redirection code (3XX), and the url repeated in
the headers as well, so that if following redirections were enabled
curl could follow automatically. See options mentioned at
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html#-L--location

Note that &amp; is the HTML encoding for plain & and you should have
replaced that.

> So I tried opening the link pointed by HREF and once i got a
> segmentation fault and again i got page opened.

That is possibly a bug. If you can reproduce it with the last version
of curl, please send the backtrace obtained from the dumped core file.

> Can somebody please let me know what I need to get this properly
> working and what is error 443.

That's not an error code, it is the default https port number.