How to deal with special characters / character encoding?

From: RM <rastaboymarley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:48:37 +0000

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has an easy answer, but I couldn't find anything on
Google or in the archives.

Running this on the command line (as an example):
curl http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21773401/ | grep '<title>'

The title comes back as <title>Wow! Japanās moon probe updates Earthrise -
Space.com - MSNBC.com</title>

The 10th character is an ā (an a circumflex). It should be an ` (top left to
bottom right apostrophe).

So, is there any way I can get curl to bring back the same results as my
browser? Apologies if it's not a curl problem but something else - any help
at all is appreciated though.

Cheers,

Leon