Re: URL "Wild Card"?

From: Tim Tassonis <timtas_at_cubic.ch>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:18:34 +0200

Dan Fandrich wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 07:47:05AM -0700, KNS Information Services wrote:
>> Is there a way to get only files in a directory that include given characters
>> but exclude others? For example, can one request something like this:
>>
>> http://www.foo.com/directory1/*xxx.html
>>
>> so that only files ending in xxx.html would be transferred?
>
> curl doesn't support that directly--it's file globbing is pretty limited.
> But you can easily do that using a for loop, find, or xargs, as discussed
> here a few days ago.

I'm not quite sure I get this. As far as I know, curl has no means to
query a directory via http, it is not part of the protocol. All it can
get from http://www.foo.com/directory1/ is an html file representing a
directory listing. It would be completely new to me that curls parses
html files now. And for implementing

http://www.foo.com/directory1/*xxx.html

stuff, this would have to be done.

Or am I missing something here?