Re: Re: Re: FTP upload speed problem and buffer size

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:23:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Ivan Makale wrote:

>> Are those really the same buffers we're talking about?
>
> I don't understand the question.

You said you changed the buffer size with the -w option to the ftp tool. I
question if that -w option really changes the size of the same kind of buffer
that curl is using for its 16K. It could just as well be a more low level TCP
buffer or whatever. I really can't tell since I have no idea what the ftp tool
does nor what the -w option does.

I'm just a sceptic by nature when it comes to trying to compare something when
we know one side very intimately and we're only guessing about the other side.

If you transfer a somewhat small file and do some careful network analysis,
can you see what kind of network differences there are?

Are there any tools that can detect/trace system calls and their timings so
that we can see how they differ between the tools?

(We always seem to be short on win32 people in this project...)