Re: Three state in the same Error code :-X

From: Sebastien WILLEMIJNS <sebastien_at_willemijns.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:27:28 +0200

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:47:49 +0200 (CEST), "Daniel Stenberg"
<daniel_at_haxx.se> said:
> >> I don't know windows land very well so I can't really advice on tools to
> >> use, but I thought there are such that can tell what system calls that fail
> >> or not, and then you can analyze the network traffic to see what goes on
> >> there or not.
> >
> > i can give you a (big) ethereal log if you want ;)
>
> No thanks, but I'd love your analysis of that log.

I am not able to do this :-(

> > when i use "-m 1" i think it is me i ask to stop curl after 1 second of
> > download :)
>
> When you use "-m 1" you lower the default timeout to 1000 milliseconds,
> yes.

No, when i use -m (--max-time), i ask the program to stop whathever his
case
when download has began...

-m/--max-time <seconds>
*Maximum time in seconds that you allow the whole operation to take.*
This is useful for preventing your batch jobs from hanging for hours due
to slow networks or links going down. See also the --connect-timeout
option.

We can see another trouble, when download has began what is the defaut
timeout ? because
--connect-timeout is not used ;)

--connect-timeout <seconds>
Maximum time in seconds that you allow the connection to the server to
take. This only limits the connection phase, *once curl has connected
this option is of no more use.* See also the -m/--max-time option.

> And do read my line there again: 'There's actually nothing in the exit
> code or
> in the description of it that says it strictly only applies to "a user
> request"'.

> but the human readable string provides additional information that can explain further
> what and why the error is for, in this particular case.

I agree to this sentence of course, easy method but not logic for me ;)

> Then I suggest the following procedure:

Same as my first sentence :-(