Re: User friendliness

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:03:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> I really appreciate this useful tool, but it's pretty uncool, and
> non-standard to have make trigger a configure.

Well, that's just a side-effect of us shipping a Makefile by default. It is
not how you're supposed to do it on configure-capable systems. I would expect
you to manually invoke configure with your desired set of options.

You think it would be better to have the default 'make' just not do anything?

> Similarly, requiring users to subscribe to an email list to submit any kind
> of feedback is rather bogus.

Why is that so? Why can't we require that users do a very minor effort in
order to provide feedback, to save us who are in the project hours and hours
of work that have to be done otherwise?

How is it up to anyone else to tell us what we should spend our spare time on?

We certainly don't prevent anyone from starting up their own support forums in
which they can have whatever means they think is fine. I setup this list like
this to save me from a lot of annoying spam cleaning work.

> A ticketing system such as RT might be a happy medium.

RT as in Request Tracker? We have bug and feature-request trackers already
setup and used...