Re: Official web based forum?

From: Brian Dessent <brian_at_dessent.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:25:51 -0700

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> (cross-posted, but please refrain from replying to both lists)
>
> I'd be interested in having an official web based forum for curl and libcurl
> issues/discussions. Some people (weirdly enough) just don't like mailing
> lists.
>
> The problem for me is that I'm up to my ears in work and administrative tasks
> in this project already so I really can't take it upon myself to setup such a
> forum/site as well.
>
> So, here's my public plea: is there any (lib)curl fan out there who thinks
> this is something you can do for the project?

Well I am certainly with you in that I can't stand web forums.

But setting up one that is separate from the list is going to just
multiply the problem by a large factor, because now the lamers that
can't figure out email will all post there and be isolated from the
list. Someone that wants to help will have twice the places to check,
which is twice the work. And thus the potential pool of people that
might be able to reply and help is decimated, and so these helpless
souls will get even less assistance than if they'd posted on the list in
the first place.

Why not just point these people to a service like gmane or nabble that
offers a web-based interface to the list?

Brian