sh: syntax error (was Re: curl-users Digest, Vol 19, Issue 30)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:19:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Guirong Wang wrote:

No less than 3 blatant netiquette violations:

DO NOT quote the whole frigging digest mail since NOTHING of that was relevant
to your post.

DO NOT reply to existing emails as a shortcut to create new mails

Use SENSIBLE mail subjects.

> I am trying to download some files from a web server to linux with the
> following command:
> curl -o filename http://www.domainpath.com/destfile
> The file was downloaded successfully. But when I tried to run the command
> again, I kept getting the following message:
> sh: unexpected EOF while looking for `"'
> sh: -c: line 2: syntax error

It seems to imply that 'curl' in this case is a shell script that is broken.
Or similar.

Try 'which curl' and/or 'strace' in front of the command line to figure out
more details.