Re: FTP login home

From: Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:52:57 -0700

At 23:15 +0000 2/1/07, Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
>Is this something cURL requires? Since when do you need a double slash there? It is absolutely not necessary for every FTP client I've ever seen, be that Win IE, Firefox, FlashFXP, Fetch, Transmit ...
>
>For example, this works:
>
>ftp://publicuser:publicpw@my.FTP.server:2161//Music//MP3//Game//
>
>Note that I doubled every path slash. (This is also valid: //Music/////MP3/////Game/////, but more than two slashes for root, for Firefox + Bulletproof, is not)
>
>Adjacent slashes are generally reduced to one.

I think the point is that, for particular users, the ftpd daemon can be chrooted so that the user attempting to log in gets sent directly to a subdirectory of his home directory or to a read-only area that's well protected for anonymous access.

By playing with permissions he can be limited to that starting point and can go nowhere else.

The initial double slash gets back to the root providing the user is allowed to go there. It also shows up in scp and sftp used in an ssh environment.

If not getting out of a chroot you're probably right that double slashes are redundant and ignored.

but then why is it ftp:// ??

--
-->  The greenhouse effect due to water vapor has never been fully modeled and weather forecasting remains irreducibly complex. It is clear that global warming is the act of an Intelligent Designer. <--