Re: Using client certificate and private key problem

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:41:18 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Ivan Balashov wrote:

> curl -v -E client.pem -k https://www.security.com

[...]

> So my question is, where is the private key that I should use, given that
> original ".cer" file contains only a public key?

First, the docs for -E says this:

   Note that this option assumes a "certificate" file that is the private key
   and the private certificate concatenated!

Then: I don't know where your private key is, but I know you need it

> I'm not sure if I have to use private key at all, but can anyone advise if I
> should also get a private key on order to use this client certificate?

You should. AFAIK, you can't use your client certificate without having your
private key and its associated passphrase as well.