Re: Can't disable libidn with --without-libidn

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:04:16 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Krzysztof Kowalczyk wrote:

> Correction to my previous e-mail: the problem really is because both
> src/config.h and lib/config.h #define HAVE_LIBIDN, even when
> --without-libidn is specifically given. Sorry about my confusion about
> HAVE_TLD_H.
>
> I checked yet another version (7.15.5) and this one doesn't have this
> problem.

I can't recall any configure changes in those areas that should've changed the
behaviour since 7.15.5!

> I noticed 2 other problems, though:
> 1) --prefix seems to be ignored (I gave ./configure --prefix=foo but
> make install tries to install in default /usr/local/lib)

Now this is curious. This has also been working fine for a long time so I
wonder how this broke. I have to admit that I personally rarely try this.

I wonder if these perhaps is related to some upgrade of one of the autotools
or something on the box I use to build release archives...

> 2) when cross-compiling, configure fails to determing size of curl_off_t,
> because conftest for that depends on libssl, which should be not necessary

Feel free to fix the test then. It is an autoconf test that we just use and it
happen to use all libs we've previously detected. We do make an effort in
making that test work though.

In 7.16.0 I added a test that makes sure that we can run programs properly
with the detected libraries and warn about it before the variable type size
check is done, just to avoid the size check to fail just because of this as it
clearly puzzles a lot of people!

> and won't work when cross-compiling e.g. when I cross-compile on i386 host
> to arm, even if I have libssl.so for arm built, it clearly won't work on
> i386.

We can't figure out variable sizes when cross-compiling, period. The configure
test is made to blindly just pick a size for that case and you'll have to
change that manually in the config.h after configure is done in case it picked
the wrong number.