Can't disable libidn with --without-libidn

From: Krzysztof Kowalczyk <kkowalczyk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 22:10:09 -0800

I'm cross-compiling curl for a system that doesn't have libidn so I
tried to disable it by:
./configure --without-libidn

However, this doesn't seem to take any effect, even if configure
claims that idn is not used:
checking whether to build with libidn... no

Symbol USE_LIBIDN is always defined. It might be because in lib\setup.h:
#if defined(HAVE_LIBIDN) && defined(HAVE_TLD_H)
/* The lib was present and the tld.h header (which is missing in libidn 0.3.X
   but we only work with libidn 0.4.1 or later) */
#define USE_LIBIDN
#endif

and HAVE_TLD_H is defined in config.h. It seems like it's because
tld.h is noticed by configure (I have one at /usr/include/tld.h). But
it doesn't seem right - when I explicitely disable libidn, it
shouldn't be picked up.

I tried serveral version of curl (7.16, 7.15, 7.14), but none of them
can be convinced to disable libidn. The do, however, fail in different
ways.

Regards,

-- kjk