Re: --verbose with -F

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:21:52 -0700

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 10:40:30PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> I think you changed a little too much (or is it too little? ;-)). Try this
> command line with the CVS version:
>
> $ curl localhost -v
>
> and it'll say:
>
> ---- start ----
> * About to connect() to localhost port 80
> * Trying 127.0.0.1... connected
> * Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 80
> >GET / HTTP/1.1
>
> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> < Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:37:37 GMT
> < Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Debian)
> { [data not shown]
> ingenting
> ---- stop ----
>
> The 'ingenting' part being the actual data my local server responds.
>
> The '[data not shown]' comment simply isn't true here!

It's actually correct, if somewhat disingenuous. If you instead execute
curl in another form such as one of these:

 curl -o datafile -v localhost
 curl localhost -v >/dev/null
 curl -v localhost 2> debuglog
 curl --trace-ascii debuglog localhost

you would see what you would expect, i.e. the data really isn't shown.
The [data not shown] message refers to the debug trace. This situation
only occurs when the debug logging is mixed with the output data, and
the leading { gives a hint that that's happening.

>>> Dan