Re: Talking to a raw SSL Socket (aka TCP/IP/SSL)

From: Raymond DeGennaro II <ray.degennaro_at_insightbb.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 07:55:43 -0500

{Odd, none of these replies made it to me.}

Re:
>From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
>Date: 2006-09-11
>
>On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 02:45:07PM -0500, Raymond DeGennaro II wrote:
>> I have a need to talk to a raw socket (not HTTP, etc. protocol) via
> > SSL, basically text in and text back out. Can cURL handle that?
>
>If you just need a raw socket, why do you need curl? Use use OpenSSL or
>another SSL library directly.

I'm shelling out from a database, need to call an OS-level executable
and would rather not reinvent the wheel.

Re:
>From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
>Date: 2006-09-11
>
>I'd suggest you use nc and stunnel for that.

I know there's other tools, I just already have a wrapper around curl
and didn't want to add another parameter to the call or write an
almost duplicate routine. I'm not sure how ubiquitous nc and stunnel
are.

Re:
>From: Kevin Carothers <kevindotcar_at_gmail.com>
>Date: 2006-09-11
>
>You didn't really give us a hint as to what environment you're on- but as a
>Perl user my first inclination would be to look at IO::Socket::SSL (
>www.cpan.org)

Perl is great, but it's surprising how many platforms do not have it
installed by default, how many platforms don't ship with ANSI
compilers and how many platforms it's a pain to install one or both.

cURL is nice because I can just throw a URL and some option flags at
it and it does what we need. The install is minimally painful
because I can build full-static versions (OpenSSL built in) and only
need to find one server of each given OS (we're supporting several
flavors of linux, HP-UX 10/20 and 11/20, AIX, Solaris, DG-UX, Win32
-- I feel I'm missing one ...) that has an ANSI compiler,the GNU
tools, OpenSSL and perl (if OpenSSL needs to be built).

>From my point of view, I'd love to see cURL enhanced to handle a
><socket://> URL, but I understand why that could be unrealistic.

Ray