RE: different behaviour of curl on GNU/Linux and MacOS X

From: Yaroslav Popovitch <yaroslav.popovitch_at_altiris.ee>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:46:57 +0100

Thx, I will check.

-----Original Message-----
From: curl-users-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se
[mailto:curl-users-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se] On Behalf Of Dan Fandrich
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:09 PM
To: curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se
Subject: Re: different behaviour of curl on GNU/Linux and MacOS X

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:45:51PM +0100, Yaroslav Popovitch wrote:
> Hello!
> My web server is switched off.
> I use curl to request some html page on SuSe 9.3 (ia32) and MacOS X
> 10.4.6 (ppc).
> I am getting errors messages which come with different time intervals.

It probably has to do with your network topology. A host on the same
Ethernet subnet will have a very short timeout on ARP requests, so it
won't
take long for it to know that a host is not there. A host on the other
side
of a router will wait much longer before giving up, because it has no
way of
knowing what the latency of the link is on the other side of the router.
Or, the two machine could simply have different default kernel-level
timeouts
(see sysctl(8)).

>>> Dan

--