Re: FTPS Queries

From: <autrelandes-curl_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:36:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

You replied in your mail Re: FTPS Queries :
> 1. Which connection mechanism (Implicit / Explicit) does Libcurl support ?
     Both.
> 2. If libcurl supports both, then Is there any way to specify which one to
> use ?
     Explicit connects use ftps:// and implicit use ftp:// with CURLOPT_FTP_SSL
     set. Note that the latter approach is what the FTP RFC says we should use and
     it probably has the best chances to work.

 In the list of features (http://curl.haxx.se/docs/features.html), one can read :
      FTPS (*1)
     - explicit ftps:// support that use SSL on both connections
    - implicit "AUTH TSL" and "AUTH SSL" usage to "upgrade" plain ftp://
      connection to use SSL for both or one of the connections
Are you sure you use the correct terms ?

 From http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html :
  - the SSL connect mode (with port 990) is implicit
  - the AUTH SSL using normally port 21 is implicit
  - the AUTH TLS using normally port 21 is not implicit
  - The prefered mode is AUTH TLS which is NOT implicit

 And when trying a ftps:// URL, the cURL log is : "About to connect() to xx.xx.xx.xx port 990", which is the SSL connect mode, so an implicit one.

  Eric LANDES