Re: cURL processes hanging when run via a system call

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:30:40 -0800

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:00:33AM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Dan Fandrich wrote:
>
> >Actually, this is a better patch:
>
> I think it should probably return an error and bail out, since this fix
> only makes it pass this particular function but will no doubt instead hit
> the fan in the next function that needs a file handle/descriptor.

No doubt, but that code, wherever it is, is just about guaranteed to be
reporting an error properly already. checkfds() is only there to help
curl try to run in a broken environment where stdin, stdout and stderr aren't
connected, and failure to correct this condition isn't always going to cause
problems. In fact, in the vast majority of cases where this call fails
there is nothing wrong with stdin/out/err at all. In any case, how
can you report an error to the user if stderr isn't even open? I didn't think
the added complexity of another error code and exit path there was worth it.

>>> Dan