Re: Trouble transversing two firewalls w/ passive ftp

From: Nick Harley <nickharley_at_bcbsal.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:33:35 -0600

<snip> What exactly were you trying to accomplish by combining
--ftp-port and
--ftp-pasv? Which mode do other clients use to make connections to
this
server? Is the server giving out false information on a PASV command?
That problem has come up here before. </snip>

The people I'm working with are saying that unless I put my client into
passive mode, the transfer will never work. If I use the passive switch
instead of the the ftp-port switch, then when the other side of the
connection tries to set up the data transfer, it gets the internal
address of my machine, which is a publicly unroutable network, and
fails. If I use the port command, I can put my external address in as
the port and it sends it correctly to the other server. I've tried
adding port information in addition to the IP address but it only
recognizes and send the IP information.

>>> dan_at_coneharvesters.com 1/17/2006 3:28:41 pm >>>
On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:02:55PM -0600, Nick Harley wrote:
> Is it possible to use the ftp port command and enable passive ftp
> transfers at the same time? The instructions I have says the two
can't
> be used together.

PORT and PASV modes are mutually exclusive. You must choose one or
the
other.

> Is there any other way to make this work?

What exactly were you trying to accomplish by combining --ftp-port and

--ftp-pasv? Which mode do other clients use to make connections to
this
server? Is the server giving out false information on a PASV command?
That problem has come up here before.

On a marginally related note, I noticed that the curl(1) man page says
"the
second will again disable silent failure" on --ftp-pasv and two other
options needing cut-and-paste edits.

>>> Dan

--
http://www.MoveAnnouncer.com              The web change of address