Re: url

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:43:19 -0800

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 07:31:23PM -0800, steve westinghouse wrote:
> here is the url that I am trying to give to curl via command line.
>
> /ESD20/JSCDL/jdk/1.5.0_06/jdk-1_5_0-doc.zip?AuthParam=
> 1136326505_767ee1c5f15cfadefb8c8fc789ec792b&TUrl=
> EMr8DPgljlCngjJlNnNDcFaPvU3tT+IO859ZF2EwLi4b1e0IkW/TF/LVaA==&TicketId=
> dlV8PANPM+8z/Q==&GroupName=SDLC&BHost=sdlcweb8a.sun.com&FilePath=/ESD20/JSCDL/
> jdk/1.5.0_06/jdk-1_5_0-doc.zip&File=jdk-1_5_0-doc.zip HTTP/1.1
>
> This url is from sun's java download. The url is only for use once and the
> server will reject if second download attempt is made. Since this is a long url
> and changes every time for a fresh download, this url was obtained from sniffer
> logs.

What you gave above isn't a URL. It may very well be that your conversion
of the above string to a URL may be the issue.

> So how does one give such an url to curl ? ofcourse the prefix to the url above
> is the destination IP address. (which is not shown in sniffer logs for http
> layer, since above url ! is directly as seen from sniffer).

You assumption that the URL hostname is the same as the IP address may be
incorrect. You may need to use the hostname instead of the numeric IP
address in the URL, since the HTTP Host: header will be different for each
and the server may be configured for virtual hosts and reject the numeric
version.

> If some one has worked with such urls before and how to give it to curl or
> would know if there are any special characters which are to be taken care of
> before giving it to curl.

You never said what OS and shell you're using, as that determines what
characters are special. For the URL above, enclosing the URL in double
quotes should be sufficient in the common cases.

>>> Dan