curl semi-newbie | -z problem

From: Evan Cooch <cooch17_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:43:28 -0500

Semi-newbie, so set flame-throwers to 'singe only' if this is beyond
trivial (to you!) ;-)

I'm running a recent build of curl on my GNU/Linux box. For the most
part, it works perfectly - the following command

curl --silent --data-binary --get
http://remote.hoste.machine/setup.exe -o /local/directory/for/file/setup.exe

works perfectly - the binary setup.exe gets pulled from the remote
machine, and placed in the appropriate directory on my local machine.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to use the -z option, to have
curl make the transfer only if the timestamp on the remote file is
newer than the timestamp on the local file

I've tried putting -z before
/local/directory/for/file/setup.exe but that doesn't work.

Basically, the URL points at a binary executable I want to transfer
if its recently been updated. Nothing more.

But, so far, despite multiple attempts, I can't seem to get it to
work. I'm sure its a simple syntax error.

Pointers to the obvious solution (which I'm clearly missing)
gratefully accepted...