Re: curl and telnet

From: Samuel Díaz García <samueldg_at_arcoscom.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:58:05 +0100

With "linux telnet daemon" I done it using a file with user and password.

 From linux:

cat myscript_with_user_info.txt | curl telnet://host

 From windows:

type myscript_with_user_info.txt | curl telnet://host

The problem is you must include "exit" or "quit" command as last line in
your .txt file.

Another problem found is that some telnet daemons read stdin in non-standard
way and I can't use that syntax.

The problem, I think, to manage login info is that is very dependant on the
device telnet daemon running on it. For example, an spanish telnet daemon,
prompt the user using "usuario:" or "Usuario:" keyword. I think another
internationalized telnet daemons could do that in another language.

I think, under telnet, there are not a standarized way to do that.

Regards,

Philippe Baudry writes:

> hi
>
> curl allows telnet functionnality
>
> syntax is curl telnet://<remote>
>
> curl doesn t manage the user password, and it is to user to catch the
> prompt and send the user identification.
> why?
>
> interest of curl is i think a complete protocal connect management from
> just a command line, as it does for http, ftp,..
>
> with telnet, this advantage is not implemented, and a simple script
> including telnet command seems to do the same
>
> i have done some test, and can t find a solution , from a script
> including curl telnet, to pass automaticaly the user/id to continue the
> telnet connexion
>
> so should be possible to have an improvement of telnet in curl including
> the management of user identificatin while connection (even if it is
> not in the protocol and can t be treated directly)
> as
>
> curl telnet://<remote> -u <user/pass>
>
> curl will do the telnet connexion, will cath the return prompt, send the
> user/id , test the results, etc , to return finaly the command result
>
> it should be nice for me, because i should have a telnet command
> inheriting of curl benefits( (proxy management, ...)
>
> in it is not, how can i from a shell script including curl telnet
> syntax, provide the user/id in continue
>
> thanks for an answer
>
> --
> Philippe Baudry